KubeCon + CloudNativeCon 2022 and Introducing Application Networking Day
KubeCon + CloudNativeCon NA was back this year – and once again in-person – with a very special new addition: Application Networking Day. The Cloud-native ecosystem descended on the Motor City (Detroit, MI) and Solo.io had a huge presence throughout the week, in pre-show events, industry events, and at the main conference.
The week prior to KubeCon, Solo announced the update to the entire portfolio, as well as the launch of Gloo Platform. We also announced that Solo would be the industry’s first company to support Istio Ambient Mesh commercially.
Application Networking Day
As a precursor to the main KubeCon event, Solo hosted the first-ever Application Networking Day. It was far and away the most well-attended pre-show event (and we’ve been told it had the best lunch of the week also!).
Application Networking Day included a full day of technical talks, as well as hands-on lab-style workshops.
NOTE: We received many requests for videos and slides from the talks, so we have provided them below.
- The Future of Application Networking with Istio, Cilium, and Envoy (Idit Levine)
- State of Istio Ambient Mesh (Lin Sun) Slides
- Enhancing Istio Ambient Mesh with eBPF (Lawrence Gadban) Slides
- Adapting to Ambient with Gloo Mesh (Nina Polshakova, Aaron Birkland) Slides
- What does ambient mesh mean for your wallet? (Will McKinley) Slides
- Sidecarless service mesh. No local TCP/IP stack. What’s left? (Kevin Dorosh) Slides
- Data Place Resilience, No problem. But What About Control Plane Resilience? (Eitan Yarmush) Slides
- Accelerate the Web with Envoy and HTTP/3 (Adam Sayah) Slides
- Understanding Istio Ambient Mesh Security (Christian Posta) Slides
- An Introduction to SPIRE, SPIFFE and how they are used in Istio (Shane O’Donnell) Slides
- Access applications anywhere at anytime with virtual mesh (Nick Nellis) Slides
- Leverage Defense In Depth by Using Cilium and Istio Together (Ram Vennam) Slides
- Exploring Cilium Network Security (Jason Skrzypek) Slides
- Panel Discussion- eBPF and Service Mesh
ServiceMeshCon is a community event where a variety of service mesh projects, trends, and updates within the CNCF are highlighted. Our own Lin Sun chaired and co-hosted the event, and CEO Idit Levine gave the keynote.
We were also happy to hear from Solo customer Shipt, who spoke about their deployment with Gloo Platform/Gloo Mesh.
Solo’s Field CTO Christian Posta and Director of Open Source Lin Sun held a book signing for their Istio in Action and Istio Ambient Mesh Explained books, which was very well attended and well received all week.
GitOpsCon and eBPF Day
While service mesh is a primary focus at CloudNativeCon, Solo was also present at other events highlighting our integration with leading industry trends, such as GitOps and eBPF.
- SLIDES: Secure Multicluster Istio Configuration using GitOps Patterns (Nick Schuetz)
- (Aidan Carson had a session here as well)
KubeCon + CloudNativeCon
KubeCon + CloudNativeCon was the cornerstone of the week for most attendees. The main event was filled with outstanding keynotes, technical sessions, and a sponsor showcase floor open to all attendees, including Solo who was a Gold Sponsor of the event.
Throughout the week, the team gave a number of talks, with Lin Sun’s Istio update drawing a packed house!
Finishing up the week, Ram Vennam (and his brother) gave a great talk about running Istio and Cilium on AWS EKS.
It was an exciting week, filled with great information, delicious Detroit-style pizza, lots of updates about the tech in our cloud-native space, and long-waited in-person connections with friends and colleagues.
We are thrilled to have been part of the story at KubeCon + CloudNativeCon in Detroit, and look forward to more upcoming events throughout this year and into the next. We look forward to seeing you again soon!BACK TO BLOG