Announcing Gloo Gateway
Today, the Solo.io team is thrilled to release Gloo Gateway, a stand alone cloud-native gateway product based on open source Istio Ingress. Gloo Gateway uses the foundational multi-tenancy and federation of the Solo.io Gloo Platform, which allows users to easily manage gateway access for multiple development teams and traffic management across multiple clusters.
Gloo Gateway is a feature-rich, Kubernetes-native ingress controller and next-generation API gateway. With Gloo Gateway, you have access to its exceptional function-level routing, discovery capabilities, numerous features, tight integration with leading open-source projects, and support for legacy apps, microservices, and serverless. Because it is built with Kubernetes CRs, these resources offer declarative, API-driven configuration, and you can easily integrate Gloo Gateway into your existing GitOps and CI/CD workflows.
While Gloo Gateway as a standalone solution is a new offering in our platform, the origin and technology comes directly from Solo’s years of working on the open source Envoy project. Most of the features above like Web Application Firewalls were written directly for the Envoy data plane which made it easy to lift and shift to the Istio Ingress. With this connection to Envoy and Istio, Gloo Gateway is the easiest way for customers to start using Istio without launching a full service mesh. As a component of the Gloo Platform, users can start with gateway, mesh, network or a combination of the products to address the cloud-native application networking challenges they face today.
Some of the benefits of Gloo Gateway include:
Gloo Gateway is uniquely designed to support hybrid applications, in which multiple technologies, architectures, protocols, and clouds can coexist. For example, by using virtual gateway and route table resources, you can set up intelligent routing within a single cluster or across clusters. In addition, you can use external services to route to endpoints that are hosted outside of your Kubernetes cluster, such as an on-prem database.
Sophisticated Traffic Control
Gloo Gateway works with a suite of traffic policies for advanced traffic management that is essential for your distributed, cloud-native apps. Highlights of these policies include the following benefits:
- Upgrading services through canary deployments that can shift traffic to different versions based on a customizable percentage
- Mirroring, or copying, requests to a “shadow” environment so that you can test upgrades before rolling out to production
- Adding resiliency to your apps with timeouts, retries, and circuit breaking
- Injecting faults to simulate abnormal conditions and perform stress tests of your apps
- Manipulate request and response headers to inject or remove information specific to your apps, network, infrastructure, or environment
- Transforming requests in a number of different ways, from simple HTTP redirects or prefix rewrites, to more advanced header and body manipulations for identity-based routing
Gloo Gateway can terminate TLS sessions before they reach your apps. You can configure the virtual gateway to use your own TLS certificates for each domain that it listens on. Such configuration means that you can use different certificates for different apps, to meet security standards.
You can apply several different policies to prevent threats before they reach the workloads in your cluster, such as auth, web application firewall (WAF), and rate limiting.
Gloo Gateway uses prometheus and works with users existing observability suites. Additionally Gloo Gateway adds a unique embedded observability UI around workspaces and clusters that allows users to get deeper relationships among a user’s services.
You can centrally manage and configure your ingress gateways across Kubernetes namespaces and clusters by using the Gloo management and data plane architecture, and custom resources such as Gloo workspaces and virtual gateways. That way, you can reduce the management overhead for your resources and decrease the risk of configuration drift.
Try Gloo Gateway today!
- Many of the enhancements we are introducing today have come from customer requests, so if you have ideas of other things you’d like to see, reach out to us on the Solo.io Slack
- Check out the Gloo Gateway datasheet
- You can request a free trial of Gloo Gateway today here
- See the new documentation here
BACK TO BLOG