Engineering Release Summary — June 2019
Welcome to summer and the end of June. This month we’ve spent time shipping releases for Service Mesh Hub and Gloo Gateway with features for both the open source and enterprise editions.
A big thank you to the community for reaching out when you’re having issues or things are not working as expected — you are an extended part of the Solo.io family. You can file issues and PRs in GitHub or join our community slack to ask questions. Special thank you to @derrickburns @unbreakable1 for contributing to the latest release.
Service Mesh Hub is now v0.20
We just released an update to the Service Mesh Hub with lots of improvements in usability, installation and more. Read the blog post for more.
SuperGloo project is now v0.3.24
The Service Mesh Hub is a product built using the SuperGloo project. This month we’ve shipped some new features and a fix for our service mesh orchestrator. View the changelog here and file issues or pull requests here.
New features and fixes include expanded support for SMI spec and more:
- Add a smi-install option to supergloo’s install istio command to deploy the SMI adapter together with Istio https://github.com/solo-io/supergloo/issues/458
- Enable SMI discovery and translation https://github.com/solo-io/supergloo/issues/456
- Add upgrade command to CLI https://github.com/solo-io/supergloo/issues/444
- Fix the meshdiscovery reconcile https://github.com/solo-io/supergloo/issues/448
Gloo Gateway Open Source now v0.14.2
Gloo Gateway is a next generation API Gateway built on top of Envoy Proxy. Gloo Gateway is available in both open source and enterprise versions depending on your requirements. This month we released new features to both versions. (Note: all open source features are available in the enterprise version)
The highlights of this release include:
- Write virtual services with Kubernetes services as an alternative to using upstreams for users already familiar with Kubernetes. This addition is also part of our strategy to make Gloo even lighter weight than it is today.
- For Enterprise, we’ve expanded our authn/authz support in response to customer feedback. They include support for external authn with jwt and support for authz with Kubernetes service account RBAC (read the Gloo Enterprise release here)
- Option for helm chart to install gloo knative integration without installing knative itself https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/issues/774
- Updated Route API to allow Kubernetes services as direct routing destinations https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/issues/746
- Add Virtual Clusters to the Gloo API. (https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/issues/764
- Update API to support routing to Kubernetes services. https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/issues/746
- Allow two virtual services on the same host with identical SslConfigs to be merged https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/issues/731
- Allow disabling function discovery. This can now be done with — set discovery.disable_fds=true when installing with helm. https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/pull/729
- Use apps/v1 api group for deployments https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/issues/767
- Fix append in hybridUpstreamSnapshot https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/issues/771
- Fix hardcoded Kubernetes cluster name in a Helm Chart https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/issues/754
- Allow two virtual services on the same host, differing by ssl/non-ssl. Special thanks to @derrickburns for contributing this bug fix. https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/pull/734
- Add tcp keepalive to knative and ingress projects. https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/pull/728
Note for Breaking Changes
- Bumping minor version after the breaking API change from release 0.13.34 (which erroneously did not bump it). https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/issues/760
- Fixing misspelled ssl_configuations field in Listener protobuf message. https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/issues/762
- Extend the route params for the plugins to have the vhost included. https://github.com/solo-io/gloo/pull/766